EMDR or Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing:
- Enables people to heal from the symptoms and emotional distress that are the result of disturbing life experiences
- The mind can in fact heal from psychological trauma much as the body recovers from physical trauma
- If the brain’s information processing system is blocked or imbalanced by the impact of a disturbing event, the emotional wound festers and can cause intense suffering. Once the block is removed, healing resumes
- EMDR removes these blocks and allows this system to heal
Twenty positive controlled outcome studies have been done on EMDR.
- Studies show that 84%-90% of single-trauma victims no longer have post-traumatic stress disorder after only three 90-minute sessions.
- Another study, funded by the HMO Kaiser Permanente, found that 100% of the single-trauma victims and 77% of multiple trauma victims no longer were diagnosed with PTSD after only six 50-minute sessions.
- In another study, 77% of combat veterans were free of PTSD in 12 sessions